Monday, July 7, 2014

13 and Counting - American Idol Live

It seems every year there's a new singing competition that starts. Reality TV has become one of the most popular forms of entertainment and it all really started with American Idol. Everyone know about the show so I won't go into too much detail except to say that it's now about to begin its 14th season and there seem to be no plans for it to quit. While the last season I distinctly remember watching is when David Cook beat out David Archuleta (shockingly that was season 7), I know a lot of people still watch it all the time and the concert last night only confirmed this. I'll admit I wasn't expecting much from the show and it was actually better than I predicted. My main qualm with the act was the backing tracks. This was the first Idol tour where a live band wasn't used and I have to say the backing music took out any of the feeling expressed in the original songs. On the other hand. the singers did bring a lot of new angles to the songs and a few of the covers really were first rate. The song selection of mainly top-40 hits was also very good and the whole show was set up well. While it definitely won't be my favorite show, I had a pretty good time and if anything, it showed Idol still produces some great singers.

After two straight sold out shows, it was great to have a quiet show. The lawn was very manageable and the mostly teenage audience caused little problems. I honestly felt old seeing all these young kids running around and holding up signs for the their favorite performers. The show ended very quickly and I was out of the park by 11. As always, looking toward to more shows in the future!

My favorite part of the show was when Caleb Johnson, the season 13 winner, sang a great rendition of Maybe I'm Amazed. While again the backing track left something to be desired, Caleb sang the song with nearly the same amount of emotion as a young Paul McCartney and he quickly proved why he won the competition this year. 

DC

Glad there was a lot of diversity on the show this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Top 10 Shows - 2018

As another season at Wolf Trap comes to a close for me, I always enjoy reflecting back on the great shows I've seen this summer. Each on...