Sunday, July 6, 2014

Hanginaround - Counting Crows

One of the so called most difficult shows turned out to be one of the best! Last night was a long night of good music supplied by three very good bands. The first band was Daniel and the Lion. Led by Daniel Pingrey, this Wisconsin band was more mellow than the other acts and relied on a soft but melodic guitar sound. They were very good and are worth checking out. The second act was Toad the Wet Sprocket. Ignoring the rather ridiculous name, this band had more rock n' roll sound with some incorporation of folk. Led by Glen Phillips on vocals and guitar, the band formed in 1986 and had a few hits in the 1990's as part of the alternative rock explosion during that time. They broke up in 1998 but reformed in 2006 and continue to record and tour to this day. I had personally never heard of them before but I liked their sound and will definitely explore more of their music. The last act was the headliner, Counting Crows. This pop-rock band from California formed in 1991 and by 1994, were one of the top alternative bands in the country. Led by singer and songwriter Adam Duritz, the bands catchy music belies their often introspective lyrics. I only knew a couple of their songs but after last night I've listened to their whole first album and I must say they may be one of my favorite bands. Musically, this is probably the best show of the summer and would have been perfect if Counting Crows had played Mr. Jones, their SIGNATURE SONG. Despite that disappointment, it really was a fantastic show and will no doubt be in my top 5 shows if not the best.

This show thankfully had a lot of bark and not much bite. Heralded by many people as the hardest show we would have, it ended being the easiest big show I've done this summer. While there was drinking, there were very few mishaps with inebriated patrons and not much smoking. Even the lawn chair issue was kept to a minimum and the lawn clearing only took half an hour. While I think we were adequately prepared for a tough show, I'm glad it ended up being a breeze since then I could enjoy the music more. Once again, it was a great night weather wise and everyone seemed to be having a great time. As always looking forward to more shows in the future!

My favorite part of the show was when Counting Crows played Hanginaround. Not only is it one of my favorite songs, during their performance they brought up these two little kids with small guitars to the stage and they played along with band. It was awesome and only confirmed that this was a great show!

DC

Toad the Wet Sprocket back in the day 

The biggest band the year I was born, Counting Crows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Top 10 Shows - 2018

As another season at Wolf Trap comes to a close for me, I always enjoy reflecting back on the great shows I've seen this summer. Each on...