Friday, July 18, 2014

Aca-Awesome - Straight No Chaser

After a weak of pretty much the best shows of the entire season, I was looking for an easier, albeit less anticipated show last night. As stated before, I have never been much of an a cappella fan and while I do respect the singers immensely, I almost alway prefer instruments over voices. With that being said, I can say without a doubt that Straight No Chaser is the best a cappella group I've ever heard. Composed of 10 men who met at the University of Indiana in 1996, the group was signed to Atlantic Records seven years ago and have since toured the world and released a few albums. While all their songs are covers (common among these groups), they really sing a variety of numbers and everything from Motown to Daft Punk were sampled in their performance. While the singing was of course top notch, they also had a very good stage presence for an a cappella group and the audience really got into the show. Overall, while the night didn't quite match the Fray or Sara Bareilles in terms of pure enjoyment, I really did like the group and I was quite surprised by how quickly I took to them.

After three consecutive busy shows, I came to this show prepared for a light audience and a relaxed setting. While there were more people and the lawn than I had envisioned, the show was still very easy and there were no problems. The shows length of 90 minutes was also very welcome (about all the a cappella I can take honestly) and the night went very quickly. The "Polar Vortex" we're having now meant that the temperature was near perfection and the humidity was also down. All of this compounded quite  pleasurable evening. As always, looking forward to more shows in the future!

While the bands version of Happy may have been the best of the FOUR artists to perform the song at Wolf Trap, the highlight of the show for me was their rendition of Let It Go. While the songs by itself and is a stroke of songwriting genius, the group performed it beautifully and honestly it was probably the best a cappella version of any song I've ever heard.

DC

Indiana's Finest 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Top 10 Shows - 2018

As another season at Wolf Trap comes to a close for me, I always enjoy reflecting back on the great shows I've seen this summer. Each on...