Monday, July 14, 2014

Country With Some Sugar - Jennifer Nettles

Hard to believe that I had never been to a country concert before this summer. So far, I've already been to three! Like I've said before, it's not that I dislike county, its just that its not my go-to genre. That being said, there really are some great country artists out there and Jennifer Nettles is one of them. Known for being part of the country duo Sugarland, Nettles released her first solo album this year to critical and commercial success. Sugarland itself has achieved 5 number one hits on the country charts and their last album hit number one on both the country and hot 200 chart. I describe their sound as country-pop and its slick production combines a traditional western feel with a more pop orientation. The instrumentation doesn't jump out at you but Nettles voice does. Nettles has an amazing voice and I think its highlighted a lot more on her live performances than on the records. She really put on a great show last night and I was really impressed with the whole show. The opening act, Brandy Clark, was also impressive and what I really liked most was that she gave her performance backed only by two acoustic guitars. She's also written a lot of songs for other artists including the Band Perry and Miranda Lambert. While I'm still not a wholehearted country fan, with every show I am realizing that the genre has a lot to offer and while many of the songs are repetitive, there are some excellent records being made.

This show started out easy but then the rain and the heat came together for a tough night. I unfortunately had my first medical incident last night when one of the volunteers at the top of lawn fainted and fell over. An EMT was called over and she woke up almost immediately but it does put a damper on your night and I was worried for a while. Later in the night, the skies opened up and the rain, thunder, and lightning started. My boss made the decision to let everyone on the lawn to move up the balcony seats and it was the lawn ushers job to tell every single person on the lawn. Because I seem to be getting my break last every night, I actually missed this whole ordeal and simply had to tolerate the rain at the end of the show. The rain definitely ruined some peoples nights and I feel bad that it had to happened during the show. Weather aside, it was still a great night and as always, I'm looking forward to more performances in the future!

My favorite part of the show was when Nettles sang Demons by Imagine Dragons and then segued into Something More (a Sugarland song). The transition was effortless and Nettles fantastic voice really took those songs to another level.

DC

Credits to anyone who gives her best songs to other artists

One of the premier voices of country

No comments:

Post a Comment

Top 10 Shows - 2018

As another season at Wolf Trap comes to a close for me, I always enjoy reflecting back on the great shows I've seen this summer. Each on...