Thursday, July 3, 2014

For What It's Worth - Crosby Stills And Nash

Finally we come to the show I was most looking forward to this summer! Seeing three legends of rock perform together is a dream come true for me and after seeing Graham Nash and David Crosby perform a few years ago, I knew this was going to be a good show. Crosby Stills and Nash formed in 1968 after each member left their bands (the Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, and the Hollies respectively). After releasing their debut album to great commercial success in 1969, they were joined by Neil Young and performed at Woodstock. Their next album, arguably their best, was released in 1970 and they have continued to record and tour sporadically since. With their intricate and unique harmonies, the bands blending of folk, rock, and a multitude of other genres have made them stand out among their peers and they have sold almost 50 million records worldwide. While I thought they sounded great tonight and enjoyed the performance, I was disappointed with the song selection. They left out a number of my favorites including Woodstock, Long Time Gone, Suite Judy Blue Eyes, and Almost Cut My Hair. These are classics and I was just really surprised they decided to play more recent songs instead of these memorable tunes. Despite this, I still had a great time and really enjoyed hearing them perform. Stills really adds a lot instrumentally and after seeing Neil Young in LA this past spring, I can now say I've seen them all!

The show was one of our busiest of the year. By the time everyone got to there seats, the whole theater was practically sold out and there was very little empty space on the lawn. I swear though there must be a bubble surrounding Wolf Trap because once again we evaded another thunderstorm. The night ended up being very cool and pleasant. Furthermore, the show was less crazy than most big shows and everyone behaved themselves for the most part. There also were not a lot of wheelchairs which turned down the work load. Even the lawn clearing went very smoothly and I was able to clear 2 whole panels within a few minutes. All in all, it was a great night job wise and I had plenty of opportunities to enjoy the show. As always, looking forward to more shows!

My favorite part of the show was when the band did a rousing rendition of For What It's Worth by Buffalo Springfield. One of the greatest protest songs ever written. Stills really let it rip and the song took on a whole new style with their performance.

DC

Proud to say I have a vinyl copy of this album 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Top 10 Shows - 2018

As another season at Wolf Trap comes to a close for me, I always enjoy reflecting back on the great shows I've seen this summer. Each on...