Sunday, July 13, 2014

Pomp And Circumstance - Disney Fantasia Live with the NSO

What could be better than combining some of the greatest classical music of all time with wonderful Disney animation? In 1936, Walt Disney had this revelation and began making plans of incorporation music with popular Disney characters such as Mickey Mouse. The result was Fantasia, which premiered in 1940. Sixty years later, Fantasia 2000 was released and served as a sequel to the first film. Both films have met critical and commercial success and are one of the most high acclaimed Disney films of all time. Montages such as the Sorcerers Apprentice have widely increased the popularity of these pieces of music. I saw Fantasia as a kid and while I never really payed attention to the music itself, i definitely remember watching the different scenes in amazement. Seeing them at Wolf Trap with the National Symphony Orchestra playing the music only makes the film all the more captivating and really highlights the pieces themselves. Songs like the Nutcracker Suite, Beethoven's 5th, and Pomp and Circumstance are brought to new heights. Fantasia remains a classic film and it was a such treat being able to see it at the Trap with live music.

This show ran two nights and both shows were not too difficult. The biggest problem is that the NSO has a strict no photography policy that the ushers are left to enforce. It doesn't help that there's never an announcement to the patrons that photography isn't allowed. It's not that hard to enforce but it does become a hassle and I can't really watch much of the film. On the other hand, it was nice to see all the kids there and I'm glad the films are still reaching younger audiences even today. As always, looking forward to more shows in the future!

My favorite part of the show was the portrayal of Noah's Ark with Donald Duck taking on the role of Noah. The comical scene is supported with Pomp and Circumstance, a fantastic piece of music that I have had the privilege to play twice before at my high school's graduation. Reminded me of my graduation too!

DC

Mickey gets into some trouble in this iconic Disney scene

No comments:

Post a Comment

Top 10 Shows - 2018

As another season at Wolf Trap comes to a close for me, I always enjoy reflecting back on the great shows I've seen this summer. Each on...