Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Crazy On You - Heart

For the third consecutive night, Wolf Trap has played host to a sold out show. What made this show unique though is that the people coming were there to ROCK. Heart is an American rock band who formed 1973 in Vancouver, Canada. They released their first album in 1976 to great success and they continued to be one of the premier hard rock groups in the US for the remainder of the 70's. After having a steady decline in popularity in the early 1980's, they rebranded themselves as Album Oriented Rock artists and staged a massive comeback. Their 1985 album, Heart, hit number one in the US and they also charted several singles in the top 10. Since then, they have continued to tour with sisters Ann and Nancy Wilson being the only constant members. Of course, the most distinguishing feature of the band is that it's led by two women. While I've never been a fan of Heart, I can't deny that they put on a great show last night. Ann Wilson still has a fantastic voce and the band sounds just as good as their 70's recordings. Although people complained about their 90 minute performance an the lack of an opener or an intermission, I think they touched all their crucial songs and even did some incredible renditions of Led Zeppelin songs. People seemed to be having a great time so I didn't mind too much. For me as a rock enthusiast, it was a great concert and I am glad that I was able to see these legends of rock n' roll perform.

Despite the short concert time, this show presented a few problems. Like I said before, it was a sold out show and every part of the lawn was full. Additionally, this isn't a Sarah McLachlan crowd we're talking about, this is rock n' roll. Finally, since the concert was short, I knew we were going to have a tough time getting people off the lawn. While the crowd, didn't end as rowdy as I thought, the lawn clearing did take an abysmally long time. Many people just couldn't believe that the band had left after only 90 minutes and continued to eat and drink like they were coming back. Eventually, we did get the grass clear but it turned our early night into a regular night. It'll be nice to have a quieter show today and as always, looking forward to more performances in the future!

My favorite part of the show was when the band served a double whammy by playing Crazy On You and Barracuda to close their show. Even I have to admit that those songs are pretty good and the band really did sound great. It was good to hear some straight up rock music!

DC

The first women rock stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Top 10 Shows - 2018

As another season at Wolf Trap comes to a close for me, I always enjoy reflecting back on the great shows I've seen this summer. Each on...