Thursday, July 28, 2016

Guitar Gods - Jeff Beck and Buddy Guy

I always tend to downplay my skill on the instruments that I play. I've finally acknowledged that I've chosen to learn a bunch of instruments rather than learn one instrument really well. I've been playing the guitar for about 2 years and even though I'd say i'm pretty comfortable with the instrument, I'm by no means advanced and I would love to learn how to really improvise. Seeing these artists play showed me what real guitar playing is like. Jeff Beck first got his start in the mid 1960's with the Yardbirds. Taking over from Eric Clapton in that band was a tough task but Beck led them to major innovations in their sound and became well known for his psychedelic playing . He later formed the Jeff Beck group who pioneered the heavier blues rock sound that Led Zeppelin and other 70's bands would emulate later. When that group broke up in 1969, Beck embarked on his own and has released a number of critically acclaimed albums of his own. Although he never achieved the commercial success of players like Clapton or Jimmy Page, he strove to reinvent his guitar playing whenever possible and pushed the limits of what a guitar can do. He has won 8 Grammy awards and was rated as the 4th greatest guitarist in Rolling Stone magazine. Buddy Guy also has a long history. He got his start in Chicago in 1957 when he began to play in the style of Muddy Waters. He released a number of critically acclaimed albums throughout the 1960's and 70's but it wasn't until the 80's when he truly became recognized outside of the musical circle. While he could be called a Chicago Blues artist, his works also incorporates more free form blues and jazz fusion. He has influenced countless guitarists including Clapton (who called Guy the best guitar player alive), Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, and Stevie Ray Vaughan. In a sense, Buddy Guy formed the basis of what Jeff Beck was able to achieve in the peak of his career during the 70's.

This was an incredible show! Buddy Guys is an astounding musician and I simply couldn't believe he is 79. He played with such fiery passion and his voice still sang with the fury of a younger man. You could tell that countless guitarists have tried to mimic his wonderful playing but I simply had never heard the blues done in that way. He even came into the audience and was a great entertainer. Jeff Beck has a much more developed and varied set that included blues, soul, and straight up rock. He was helped by a couple singers who were very good and knew when to take over from Beck or let him have the stage. I can't really explain Beck's playing since it was entirely his own and he played with the confidence of a seasoned musician who has seen it all. While he usually remained inconspicuous on stage, the sounds coming out of his Stratocaster were was probably the best guitar music I've ever heard. Overall, these musicians rocked the house and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen at Wolf Trap! The people on the lawn were as drawn into it as I was and despite one unruly patron, everything went smoothly. It was the 5th day of 90+ degree weather but everyone persevered!

I couldn't decide my favorite part so I went with two. Beck played an incredible cover of "Superstition" by Stevie Wonder and it's soul beat was perfect for his free form playing. He also closed the show with a cover of "A Day in the Life" by the Beatles. Both times, he took a well known song and for that night, it was all his.

As always, looking forward to more shows in the future!

DC

Jeff Beck 

Buddy Guy 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Top 10 Shows - 2018

As another season at Wolf Trap comes to a close for me, I always enjoy reflecting back on the great shows I've seen this summer. Each on...