Friday, June 8, 2018

Pop Fun - Fitz and the Tantrums and X Ambassadors

Ok I know how I gushed over the Alison Kruass concert the other night but this concert might have been just as good! It was different in just about every way but the beauty of music is that it can draw so many emotions while just being plain fun. X Ambassadors formed in 2009 in Ithaca, New York and were first noticed by Imagine Dragons frontman Dan Reynolds. They released their first album, VHS, in 2015 and scored hits with songs "Renegades" and "Jungle". They announced a 2nd album should be released this year and in the meantime they have released a few stand alone singles. In addition, they performed at the National Boy Scout Jamboree and of course, with the USC Trojan Marching Band! Yes, I performed with them my senior year and we accompanied them on "Renegades" and "Collider". It was a great experience and definitely one of the highlights of the season for me. Fit and the Tantrums formed in 2008 and are led by singer Michael Fitzpatrick. They played the clubs around L.A. before they released their first album, Pickin up the Pieces, in 2010 and since have two more albums to their name. Their sunny pop has been featured in numerous commercials and shows as they have slowly made a name for themselves. They also have the distinction of playing with the USC Trojan Marching Band although I wasn't there because clarinets were not invited (don't get me started). Needless to say I knew a lot about these bands and was super excited to see them.

There was just a different feel at Wolf Trap last night. The Caps winning the Stanley Cup may have been a factor but I think the beautiful night and the upbeat music just made everyone let loose and enjoy themselves! Mikky Ekko was the opener and while his music didn't have the same confidence and uniqueness of his tour mates, his set was solid starter for the other groups I saw X Ambassadors about three years ago and I think they've actually gotten better live. Full of energy and emotion, their music was meant for the stage and their hour long set was a perfect amount to fully embrace their artistry. As musicians, they don't use technical skill but rather enthusiasm and vigor. Front man Sam Harris has a great voice and they're a band who could fit in both small clubs and hugh arenas. Fitz and the Tantrums might be the most upbeat band I've seen and I couldn't help by smile the whole time! I've always wanted to see them and their songs are just so easy to listen to. Their colorful nature definitely captured Wolf Trap at its best and its another example how a night here can just come together and be blissfully harmonious.

My favorite part of the show was when X Ambassadors played their song "Joyful". It's my favorite song by them and even though it's slower than their normal stuff, I just think its beautiful and they performed it perfectly.

Looking forward to more shows in the future!

GO CAPS GO

DC
Fitz and the Tantrums 
X Ambassadors 

Mikky Ekko




No comments:

Post a Comment

Top 10 Shows - 2018

As another season at Wolf Trap comes to a close for me, I always enjoy reflecting back on the great shows I've seen this summer. Each on...