Saturday, August 2, 2014

A Night With a Native - Mary Chapin Carpenter and the NSO

Well I guess you can't like them all right? I figured that there would be some shows that just weren't suited to my taste, but usually what has happened is that I'll gain newfound respect for those particular artists and I might even start to like them a little bit. Unfortunately, that wasn't quite the case with Mary Carpenter. She began her career in Washington DC, playing at local clubs around the area. Her first record came out in 1987 and she soon established herself as one of the big country artists of the late 80's and early 90's. In the early 2000's, she rebranded herself and her music began to reflect more topical and societal issues of the day. She also mellowed out more and her music began to lack that country sound. The music she played last night showed almost no country influences and was more like easy-listening soft music. Not really my style. The orchestra I actually think stole the show and their accompaniments for always on point, sometimes even drowning out the singer. I just thought her show would be more upbeat and instead it was almost like lullaby music. Not a horrible concert, just not my type at all.

On the other hand, the show was one of the easiest we've ever had. Finally, the lawn was pretty empty and less that 1000 patrons were on the grass last night. Additionally, the crowd was very calm and some people even looked like they could fall asleep. There were no problems and the third bro-show was a success! As always, looking forward to more shows in the future!

My favorite part of the show was when she finally sang a song from her older material. While "Down at the Twist and Shout" wasn't the best song I've ever heard, I was glad to her something that was a little more upbeat. The orchestra kept up great and I'm glad the NSO has graced the stage so many times this summer!

DC

From country star to easy listening? 



1 comment:

  1. It's too bad, I heard that a fantastic drummer was performing with them: Peter Erskine. He even teaches Jazz Drumset at USC Thornton. I would have thought with him behind the kit they would do more upbeat numbers!

    ReplyDelete

Top 10 Shows - 2018

As another season at Wolf Trap comes to a close for me, I always enjoy reflecting back on the great shows I've seen this summer. Each on...