Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Hispanic Heritage - Noche Flamenco

As my time at Wolf Trap is winding down, I keep thinking about the diversity of the shows that have come and gone since the season started. While my favorite shows have been the more mainstream music artists, it would've have been a less fruitful experience if we hadn't received some of the more obscure performances. Last night was as example of a less well known but nonetheless enjoyable act. Noche Flamenca is a Madrid based dance/music group who aim to create authentic Spanish entertainment. Their performance revolved around singers, dancers, and two flamenco guitar players who all worked to establish what it would be like to see an actual dance group in Spain. One thing I think this group did the best out of any act we've had was their ability to take the audience to a different time and place. Since it was a light show, I had a lot of time to look up at the stars and imagine I was in Spain or Mexico 150 years ago when this music was the main form of entertainment. It was a very surreal moment and as someone who would like to be more connected with my hispanic heritage, it was a wonderful experience. While it probably won't be in my top 10 list at the end of the season, it shows like these that make Wolf Trap what it is: a place to experience a plethora of cultures.

This show was one of the quietest we've had this year. Less than 300 people graced the lawn last night and the audience remained quiet and unassuming the entire time. Rain was in the forecast but it never came and instead we were treated to a beautiful starry night with some meteors flying by once in a while. Its nights like last night that I'll miss the most when my time at Wolf Trap is over. As always, looking forward to more shows in the future!

My favorite part of the night wasn't one particular song or act, it was imagining myself back in time when flamenco music and dancing was at its height. This group created one of the most distinct moods of any show we've had and they still left 80% of the stage empty.

DC

the performers of Noche Flamenca 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Top 10 Shows - 2018

As another season at Wolf Trap comes to a close for me, I always enjoy reflecting back on the great shows I've seen this summer. Each on...